Not only is this vegan potato soup delicious and easy to make, but it’s also a great way to add some veggies to your diet! This soup gets its flavor from a variety of fresh herbs and vegetables, so you won’t feel the slightest bit guilty no matter how many helpings you have.
Vegan Potato Soup Ingredients
- russet potatoes
- vegetable broth
- canned coconut milk
- olive oil
- fresh rosemary
- thyme (fresh or dried)
- fresh chives (or freeze-dried)
- salt and pepper
How to Make Vegan Potato Soup
The first step to making this creamy soup is to gather and chop your fresh vegetables. Start by chopping the carrots, celery, and onions. Once you have about a cup of each, heat up some olive oil in a large pot over medium heat and toss in your veggies. Keep stirring these for a few minutes until they start to soften, and then add in the garlic. You want to add the garlic later so that it does not burn in the pot.
While the chopped vegetables and garlic are cooking, peel the potatoes. After peeling, you can weigh your potatoes to get an exact measurement, but this isn’t necessary. You can adjust the creaminess at the end when you add in the coconut milk. Cut the potatoes into smaller chunks so that they will cook faster.
Once the vegetables have significantly softened, toss in your chopped potatoes. Immediately dump in the box of vegetable broth and stir. This is when you will add your seasonings of choice. You want to add them in during this stage because it will allow the potatoes to absorb all the flavors. Add in as much salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme, and/or chives as desired. The measurements I used are listed below, but feel free to add as much as you’d like.
After seasoning, give the soup a stir and cover. Let it simmer for about 35 minutes and then check to see if it is soft enough that the potatoes can easily be mashed. Use a potato masher to mash the potatoes as much as possible. If they are still a little too hard, cover and try again in 5–10 minutes.
Once the potatoes are mashed, add in the coconut milk to make it creamy! Depending on the size of your potatoes, you might need more or less coconut milk than recommended. Start off by adding half of the can, and keep adding more until your soup is creamy enough.
How to Make the Soup Extra Creamy
Once you are done, you will notice that while the soup is creamy and soft, there are still visible chunks of carrots. If you prefer your soup completely smooth and runny with no chunks, use an immersion hand blender to completely pulverize the vegetables.
Vegan Potato Soup
- potato masher
- hand blender (optional)
- 1–2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup onions chopped
- 1 cup carrots chopped
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 8 tsp garlic minced
- 4 medium russet potatoes (about 40 oz.)
- 4 cups vegetable broth (1 box)
- 1 can coconut milk organic, full-fat
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary chopped
- 1 tsp thyme dried or fresh
- 2 tbsp chives plus more for garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large pot on medium heat.
- Chop onions, carrots, and celery and add to the pot. Cook for about 5 minutes and then add in the garlic. Let it all cook for another 5–10 minutes while you peel and chop the potatoes.
- Toss in the chopped potatoes and immediately add the vegetable broth. Stir in the desired seasonings and cover. Let cook for 35 minutes (or more if not softened enough).
- When softened, mash the potatoes and veggies with a potato masher.
- Open and stir your canned coconut milk. Pour half of the can into the soup and stir. Keep adding more coconut milk until your soup is soft and creamy.
- Optional: If you want a smoother soup, use a hand blender to blend any of the remaining vegetables.