What is Vegan Shampoo?
It may come as a surprise to those just following a vegan diet, but not all of your bath and body products are vegan, including shampoo and conditioner.
While shampoo ingredients might not be something many people think about, the truth is that many shampoo brands contain multiple animal products, most often being honey and keratin.
Shampoo is considered vegan if there are no animal products in the ingredients list. But just because a product is vegan doesn’t make it cruelty-free.
Cruelty-Free means that a product has not been tested on animals. To tell if a product is cruelty-free, there will often be a cruelty-free label somewhere on the packaging (it’s most often a bunny or leaping bunny).
This list of shampoo and conditioner brands contains only products that are both vegan and cruelty-free. These brands are not made with any animal-derived ingredients and never tested on animals.
Vegan Shampoo and Conditioner Brands
Love Beauty and Planet
✅ Love Beauty and Planet Overview:
- Price Range: $4.99 – $6.75 per bottle/bar
- Hair Type: good for all hair types & color-safe
- Where to Buy: You can buy Love Beauty and Planet products online on Amazon or on their website. You can also find them in many stores including Walmart, Target, and popular drug stores. Use their store locator to find products near you.
Love Beauty and Planet shampoo and conditioner products are all vegan and cruelty-free!
In addition to being great for animal rights, this brand’s hair care products are also great for the environment. All of the bottles are recyclable and made from 100% recycled plastic, and the shampoo bars are made from recyclable cartons!
Love Beauty and Planet hair products are also more natural because they are free from many common chemicals included in hair products, such as dyes, parabens, sulfates, and silicone. Because they are free from many color-stripping chemicals, these vegan shampoo and conditioner products are safe for color-treated hair!
✅ Ethique Hair Care Overview:
- Price Range: $13 – $18
- Hair Type: for all hair types, including color-treated hair
- Where to Buy: You can buy Ethique products online on Amazon or on their website. Currently, they are sold in select Target stores and all Mom’s Organic Erewhon stores. Use their store locator to find Ethique bars near you.
Ethique is an eco-conscious brand that makes vegan shampoo and conditioner bars! All of their products are both cruelty-free and vegan-friendly.
Ethique products have two main goals: 1) to be zero waste and 2) to never use any animal-derived ingredients or harm animals in the manufacturing process.
We’ve proven that naturally derived, plant-based ingredients do a far superior job, with none of the harm.
If these bars seem pricy to you, Ethique talks about how they are fairly priced. Because bottles of shampoo and conditioner are usually between 70% – 90% water, and Ethique’s shampoo bars are only 1% water, you are actually getting the equivalent of 3 bottles of shampoo or conditioner for every bar.
They also make a vegan purple shampoo bar for those with blonde color-treated hair!
✅ ACURE Hair Care Overview:
- Price Range: $9 – $12
- Hair Type: suitable for all hair types
- Where to Buy: You can buy ACURE hair products online on Amazon, their website, or from many other online retailers.
ACURE is a natural and organic skin, body, and hair care brand that focuses on using better-for-you ingredients in your everyday routine. All ACURE products are vegan and cruelty-free!
ACURE has a wide variety of hair products for your specific hair care needs. On their site, you can search for hair products by hair type (curly, frizzy, color-treated, oily, damaged) and the desired benefit (smooth & shine, volume & bounce, color care, balance, etc.).
This brand even has vegan dry shampoo options to choose from! And if you’re trying to cut down on your plastic waste, they have a shampoo bar option as well.
✅ Pureology Brand Overview:
- Price Range: $8 – $75 (depending on bottle size)
- Hair Type: All hair types (and all are safe for color-treated hair)
- Where to Buy: You can buy Pureology online on Amazon, on their website, or from other beauty retailers. You can also find this brand in-store at many locations, including Walmart and Target!
Pureology haircare products are all vegan, cruelty-free, and made specifically for color-treated hair!
Color care without compromise is the POWER OF PUREOLOGY. We created our customized, high-performance formulations while caring for our planet and animals with beauty and integrity in mind.
Not only are all Pureology shampoo and conditioner products all sulfate-free and color-safe, but they also have hair products specific for your individual hair care needs! Whether you’re looking for a shampoo that gives extra volume, anti-frizz smoothing, strength, or heat protection, there’s a Pureology shampoo that’s perfect for you.
If you’re looking for something specific, Pureology has a vegan dry shampoo and purple shampoo to choose from!
✅ Avalon Organics Brand Overview:
- Price Range: $7-$14
- Hair Type: suitable for all hair types
- Where to Buy: You can buy Avalon Organics products online on Amazon. Also, find them in a store near you, including Whole Foods, Publix, Sprouts, Kroger, and Giant Eagle!
With the belief that all beauty comes from the earth, Avalon Organics creates body and hair care products that are natural, vegan, and cruelty-free.
Humbled by a profound respect for all living beings, Avalon Organics products are vegan and cruelty-free.
Avalon Organics is the perfect brand for you if you’re looking for vegan conditioner or shampoo that is made from mostly natural, organic ingredients (including organic botanicals and essential oils). This is a widely-used and highly rated haircare brand. It’s also a cheap vegan shampoo brand compared to many others!
✅ Giovanni Cosmetics Overview:
- Price Range: $8 – $24
- Hair Type: all hair types, including color-treated
- Where to Buy: You can buy Giovanni hair products online on Amazon or on their website. Also, you can find them in stores from many retailers using their store locator.
Giovanni Cosmetics, one of America’s most popular, natural hair care brands, offers many vegan and cruelty-free shampoo and conditioner varieties. They are very transparent about which of their products are vegan-friendly, and all of their bottles are clearly labeled.
This brand is perfect if you’re looking for vegan hair care products that are salon-quality. The only Giovanni non-vegan hair products are those that are part of their Magnetic Hair Care line and should be avoided. When it comes to being cruelty-free, Giovanni has always been in the clear:
We have never tested our products on animals, and our company is proudly Leaping Bunny certified.
All Giavanni shampoos and conditioners are color-safe, so you don’t have to worry about getting a special shampoo for color-treated hair.
✅ Paul Mitchell Brand Overview:
- Price Range: $12-$22
- Hair Type: All hair types, including color-treated
- Where to Buy: You can buy Paul Mitchell hair products online on Amazon or their website. Also, find them in major stores near you, including Walmart and Target!
Paul Mitchell is a well-known and easy-to-find brand of hair care products and hair-styling tools! While the salon-quality brand is not vegan across the board, they clearly label which of their products are vegan and they NEVER test on animals.
We’re proud to say that none of our products are tested on animals! In fact, we were the first professional beauty company to announce that we don’t conduct or endorse animal testing.
You can find out which Paul Mitchell shampoo and conditioner products are vegan by simply looking at the description of the product on their website. There are many to choose from, including vegan dry shampoo varieties!
They list all of the important information, such as whether the product is vegan, gluten-free, paraben-free, etc., in one location (usually a bulleted list).
✅ Aveda Brand Overview:
- Price Range: $9 – $54 (depending on bottle size)
- Hair Type: all hair types (but not all color-safe varieties are vegan)
- Where to Buy: You can buy Aveda products online from Ulta or their website. You can also find them in stores at select retailers.
Aveda hair care products are 100% cruelty-free, and many of them are vegan! By scrolling through their shampoos and conditioners on their site, the vegan varieties are clearly labeled. In the descriptions of vegan products, it will say “free from animal products.”
While Aveda products aren’t as easy to find as other brands, this is because the product you’re getting is salon-quality and only sold at select retailers.
In addition to shampoo and conditioner, there are also many other vegan hair products from Aveda that you can incorporate into your hair care routine — including hair treatments, hair and scalp oils, hair masks, and more!
✅ LUSH Cosmetics Brand Overview:
- Price Range: $13 – $55 (depends on size)
- Hair Type: normal hair types and some varieties for color-treated hair
- Where to Buy: You can buy LUSH Cosmetics products at LUSH stores or order online from their website!
LUSH Cosmetics is one of the most well-known cosmetics companies that is against animal testing, and the brand is also 100% vegetarian. The reason the brand is not 100% vegan is because some of their products contain honey, but a majority of LUSH products are vegan!
LUSH has many bath and body products, including their famous bath bombs, body scrubs, and face masks. But they also have shampoo and conditioners that are all cruelty-free, and many are vegan!
All LUSH hair products are clearly labeled either vegan or vegetarian, so you don’t have to worry about reading the ingredients! There are also many LUSH vegan shampoo and conditioner bars for those who want to go plastic-free and a purple shampoo for those with blonde color-treated hair!
If you liked this Cruelty-Free and Vegan Shampoo Guide, check out my other Vegan Bath and Body Brand Guides!