If you are making any meal that requires pita bread, pita fries are the perfect side dish! Plus, you can use the leftover pita bread for the side dish so there is no waste.
I first came across pita fries when I was at a Greek restaurant (before I was vegan!). Even though I had no idea what they were, they were the recommended side dish, so I got them with my meal — and WOW!
I’ve always been a french fry lover, but regular fries don’t compare to pita fries. They are so much more flavorful and go perfectly with Mediterranean food.
I tried to recreate the recipe from the memory of how it tasted, and I think I nailed it! Keep reading to learn how to make this awesome side dish!
Pita Fries Ingredients
- pita bread
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- dried thyme
- dried dill
- dried oregano
- dried basil
- garlic powder
How to Make Pita Fries
Pita fries are one of the easiest and quickest side dishes you can make. That’s why if you’re making a main dish that takes a little time, such as falafel, this is a perfect side dish because it takes almost no extra time.
First, you want to mix together all of the spices. If you find that you like this recipe, make an extra-large batch of the spices and save it in a jar or an old shaker. That way when you make it next time, this step is already prepared and ready to go — cutting the time down even more!
Then, you have to make the fries. Take a piece of pita bread and cut it into four slices that are about 1 to 1-1/2 inches wide. Drop these slices into a pot of hot oil, and cook for about 45 seconds on each side.
DO NOT OVERCOOK! You want these fries to be slightly crispy, but not too much. If you overcook them, they will be pita chips — not pita fries!
After they are done frying, lay them on a plate with a couple of paper towels to soak up excess oil. While the fries are still hot and damp (with hot oil), sprinkle the seasoning mixture on top of them. For extra flavor, flip and season the other sides.
How to Serve Pita Fries
Pita fries are delicious plain, but to make them extra tasty, serve them with dip! The best dip to serve them with is tzatziki sauce. Because this is usually made with greek yogurt, try my vegan tzatziki sauce recipe!
Alternatively, you can serve these fries with tahini sauce or hummus!
Pita Fries Recipe
- 2 pitas
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp dried dill freeze-dried dill is best
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Mix all of the seasonings together and set aside.
- Heat a pot of vegetable oil on medium-high heat. Cut each piece of pita bread into four slices (or whatever size/shape you'd like).
- When the oil is hot enough to fry, place each slice of pita bread on the oil. They will float! Cook each side for about 45 seconds, being careful not to overcook.
- When both sides have been fried, carefully remove the pita fries and place them on a paper towel.
- While the fries are still hot and damp from the oil, sprinkle the seasoning mix over them. Flip and sprinkle over the other sides for extra flavor!
- Serve with tzatziki sauce, tahini sauce, or hummus!
- Cook time is an estimation. Cook longer for extra crispy fries and less time for softer fries!
- Meal prep idea: Fill an empty shaker with the seasoning mix so you don't have to make more next time!
- Pita bread is pretty cheap at the store and easy to freeze and save for later. I get my pita bread at Walmart, and I get five pitas for $1!